Friday 29 August 2014

Chapter 2.19 Making Friends

"Purple di-no-saur-ous" Melody grinned, pronouncing the word slowly. 


Melody's mommy had taught her to say big words a little slower than shorter words so she didn't get herself muddled up. "Purple dino-saur-ous." She showed off the toy to Belle, who just rolled her eyes.
"It's dinosaur, not dinosaurous. And it's not even a dinosaur, it's a dragon." She sighed. Her mom had told her to try and get along with the twins better, but it was kind of difficult when they couldn't say all too much and Melody especially spoke in rather broken sentences and fragments.
Melody frowned, confused. "Purple?" She asked.
"Yes, it's purple." Belle confirmed. "Just because it isn't the species you thought doesn't mean it isn't still that colour."


"No 'ragon! No!" Melody squealed, moving the purple dragon toy up to her. She then made mock eating noises, as if the plastic toy was going to devour her. "No 'ragon! No eat Melody!" She then threw the dragon toy to the other side of the room, scared.
Belle watched her little sister, blinking. Was she that weird when she was little? "How about we play something else?"


"Play." Melody grinned, willing to try something new to play (rather than with dragons that wanted to eat her.)
"What you do, it you cover your eyes..." Belle trailed off, covering her eyes with her hands, then quickly pulled them away and went "Boo!" She grinned. "The game's called Peek-a-boo."
Melody gasped, then giggled. "Peek-boo!" She chirped in.
"Peek-a-boo." Belle corrected.



Belle covered her eyes, and Melody soon copied. Melody wanted her own chance at playing the game too. It wasn't fair that only Belle got to be the lead in the game. Melody was a few seconds behind Belle though.


"Boo!" Belle grinned, taking her hands away from her eyes.
"Boo!" Melody repeated and mimicked Belle's actions, giggling. "Peek-a-boo. Peek-a-boo." She chanted, grinning.
After a while, Belle got bored and stopped playing. Melody decided that she wanted to try and spend some time with her mommy.


"Mommy?" Melody whispered. and gently reached up and poked her on her knee. "Mommy?" She asked, a little louder this time. She frowned when her mommy didn't wake up. She clambered up on to the bed, and instead of just sitting down, she jumped down and landed neatly on her butt on top of the bed, startling Alyssa awake.
"Mel?" She asked, trying to calm down slightly. Her daughter seemed fine, which made Alyssa wonder what she was up to. "Is everything alright?"
Melody thought it was funny to scare her mommy like that, but she did feel a little bit bad. "Sorry." She pouted slightly. "Wanted to play with you." She grinned sweetly, and sat on top of her mommy's legs. Her mommy was comfy to sit on.


Alyssa smiled slightly, albeit confused at where her youngest daughter chose to sit. "I hope you're comfy there."
"What wanna play?" Melody asked, grinning but also thinking about what to play. "Can play hide and seek?" She suggested.
Alyssa shook her head. "Mommy's not really in the mood for playing right now Sweetie." She pouted lightly. "And I can't get up and play if you're sat on me." She laughed a little.
Melody slid down, and sat next to her on the bed. "Now?" She asked, but her mommy shook her head again.
"Maybe later." Alyssa smiled slightly, and Melody rested her head on her stomach.


"How did baby get there?" She asked, confused. "Who put it there? And why it's there?"She asked the questions all at once, curious.
Alyssa frowned, not so sure how exactly to answer her. Melody was without a doubt way too young to learn about how babies are made, she also couldn't exactly say the 'when a mommy and a daddy love each other' story either. She bit her lower lip, unsure of what to say.
"Well?" Melody asked, looking at her mommy.


"Well..." She started, and trailed off soon after starting. "The stork usually brings babies to a mommy and daddy that really love each other. See, the mommy and daddy have too much love for each other, the stork brings along a baby so that love isn't wasted. Sometimes, the stork can make mistakes and thinks that a mommy and daddy really love each other, but they don't have enough love for each other and the baby, so all their love goes to the baby and there's just none left over." Alyssa tried to keep an upbeat tone when she spoke even though what she said had a sad ending, she knew that it must be difficult for Melody and Ashton. They had next to no clue why everything was happening, and Alyssa couldn't tell them without the danger of hurting their feelings.


Melody stayed quiet for a while, before saying. "Wanna dog. Get a dog?" She was then back to her happy, smiley self. "Wanna fluffy dog."
Alyssa smiled, "We'll see about a dog, Sweetie. Maybe after the baby's born we can get another." Speaking of which, she was glad that Melody was content with the answer she gave to where babies come from.


Meanwhile, Belle was reading downstairs on the new couch they got. "'You swear you aren't pulling my leg?' I kept saying to her. 'You swear you aren't just pretending?' 'Listen,' she said, 'I have known no less than five children who have simply vanished off the face of this earth, never to be seen again. The witches took them.' 'I still think you're just trying to frighten me,' " Belle read aloud, trying her best to do voices for each character so it seemed more real. She had already read this book before, but sometimes it's nice to reread things.
"What are you reading?" Belle rolled her eyes at who was asking that question.


"A book." Belle answered coldly, already bored of the conversation. She kept on reading.
"You know, you could try being nice." He went over to her, and sat down next to her. He wasn't willing to give up on her just yet. He looked at what she was reading, "The Witches, huh?" He asked, smiling slightly.
"I could try." She murmured, narrowing her eyes at him. "I've already read it before. The boy gets turned into a mouse and they defeat the Grand High Witch and turn her and all the other witches in to mice." She smirked, trying to spoil it for him.
"I know, I read it too when I was about your age." He smirked back at her.


Belle sighed, and put the book down on the coffee table. "I didn't realize it was a million years old." She retorted. She hesitated a little, before deciding to talk about the book with him. Her mom doesn't read all too much unlike her, so she figured it might be nice to talk about it. "I like the bit where Bruno gets turned into a mouse. I don't like him."
"I didn't like him all too much either. He seemed like a show off, but he's better than the Grand High Witch though." He pointed out.
Belle laughed a little. "Anyone's better than her." She smiled.


"It's not real though." Belle whispered, raising an eyebrow at him. She knew he knew it wasn't real, she just wanted to clear up that she knew it wasn't real either.
"How can you be so sure?" Tyler asked, teasing her. "Witches do exist." He smiled slightly. "Your Aunt Rosie's a witch."
She shook her head. "But Aunt Rosie's not a witch like the ones in the book. I've seen her hands, and she doesn't have claws."


"You never know, she might have gloves that look like human hands to cover up her claws." He teased still, but it wasn't really working.
"That's silly. Besides, Aunt Rosie doesn't have flat feet, she has toes." Belle shrugged, at least she was fairly sure her aunt did have toes. "I mean, I think she does. She's always wearing her boots." She murmured, starting to get scared. Was her aunt a child hating witch like the ones in the book?


"Aunt Rosie isn't a bad witch, is she?" She whispered, scared. How could she have missed out on seeing those vital things? Oh God, her aunt was going to turn her into a mouse! She wouldn't look good as a mouse! What if her mom set out mousetraps everywhere like how the witches had planned? Belle was never visiting Aunt Rosie again, ever!
Tyler grinned, "I don't think you'd have cousins if she was." He pointed out, and got a well deserved glare from Belle.
"You scared me." She grumbled, and even though for the moment she was a little angry at him, he could tell that she liked him now (or at least, didn't hate him quite as much.)


It made Alyssa smile to see that Belle and Tyler were finally getting along. It wasn't like Belle was going to forever snub Tyler, but it was better that they were friends sooner rather than later.
As nice as it was though, she didn't exactly come downstairs to marvel at her daughter managing to make friends with Tyler. There was a much more important reason why she came downstairs. Her contractions had started and she needed to go to the hospital. "Tyler? Can I talk to you?" She more said rather than asked.


"What's up?" He asked, wondering why she looked quite so panicked. He would have just found out for himself, but she had told him not to.
"We need to go to the hospital." She said outright. "It's time; the baby's coming."
His eyes widened, "What?" He asked, rather quietly. "A-Are you sure?" He stuttered, and knew he probably shouldn't have asked that when Alyssa gave him a look.


"Pretty damn sure." Alyssa spoke though gritted teeth. "We need to go to the hospital." She repeated.
"Hospital?" Tyler asked, blanking out for a moment. "Right, yeah, hospital." He murmured, snapping out of his daze. He called someone to look after the kids before helping Alyssa to get to the hospital.

Chapter 2.18 Successful Woman, Scarlet Woman                                        
______________________________

AN: I forgot how many little dashes I usually do there. Hmm...

Sorry about mini-cliffhanger. Baby's met next time though :)

The book Belle and Tyler were on about is The Witches by Roald Dahl. It's this book about this boy who lives with his grandmama after his parents die, and he learns about these horrible women called witches and their leader the Grand High Witch. All witches hate children and want them gone, which was why Belle in particular was worried in case Rosie was a bad witch (she's not. She does have toes, fingernails and doesn't have blue spit or wear a wig (seriously a cool book for kids))

I found it difficult to write the part where Alyssa was talking to Melody about where babies come from.  I had no clue what anyone would say in that situation (it would be easier if she was with someone properly though) so I did best with what I could. It was a kinda depressing mini-speech, I think. Ah well, Melody's about three in my mind so I doubt she'll remember.

12 comments:

  1. Loved the Witches when I was a kid, and Roald Dahls books in general. So Belle's right, it's about a million years old ;) But it's nice to see she'd warming a bit up to Tyler. When is he and Alyssa going to heat up a bit? Maybe wait until she gets the baby out atleast :D

    Is it long before Belle turns into a teen if I might ask? She seems to be getting closer in the "adults are lame" department. (Which we are, but that's not the point)

    Alyssa did pretty good when talking about where babies come from. It's a lot better than what I told my kid atleast....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured it would be fun. I had that little scene in my head for a while. I remember when I was in Y2 (about 7) I read Danny the Champion of the World. I don't remember much about it, other than the fact that there's pheasants and pheasant hunting and raisins with horse hair in them... Hm...
      She is starting to warm up to Tyler. She's just not all so sure on trusting him (especially after he made her believe that her aunt wanted to turn her into a mouse)
      Alyssa and Tyler are heating up a little bit, but she's a little unsure because she just got out of a serious relationship.

      It's not all too long actually. There's a few more birthdays, and then it's hers! When I saw her age, I gasped, and had to stop for a while. My baby Belle is getting older :( (and technically, not my baby. Alyssa's baby.)

      I'm glad you think she did a good job, that bit was tricky to write.

      Delete
  2. Belle playing with her sister was adorable---I wish there were more interactions like that between toddlers and anyone really, lol, in Sims3. It was pretty cute too, Melody lying her head on her mommy's tummy. For that age, Storks work as well as anything else as an explanation, lol Let her watch Dumbo and she'll really believe it though, haha! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have next to none with children. I mean, some of the things like play tag could work with toddlers. (Also, werewolves have an adorable howl at moon. It's so cute I nearly died of cuteness overload! It was a little high pitches ow-ow-owww)
      It's a really cute pose. I've had the pose pack idly sitting on my pose list and decided to use it.
      Dumbo's really sad though! I cried at it when I saw it (which was about two years ago)

      Delete
  3. The Witches absolutely terrified me as a child! It is the only book I can think of that has really scared me. Tyler very sneakily bonded with Belle, which is fantastic. He's clever.

    Melody is adorable. Alyssa answered that question better than I would have (I would have gone the Polly route: describe human fertilization in as much detail as possible).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did it as a performance in my school, and we really dialed up the creepy with it. I was a witch in it, and I got killed.
      He wasn't willing to give up that easy on bonding with her, even if he had to do it against her own will(kinda)

      She is cute, and Alyssa managed to answer the question quite well, (I probably would either end up spilling out every stereo type I can think of, or telling them to Google it then turn off the WiFi until they get bored and give up.)

      Delete
  4. Silly Melody, mistaking a dragon for a dinosaur. The dragon clearly didn't like that! She's very cute though, especially with the little sister - big sister interactions. <3

    Alyssa handled that conversation about babies really well. Much better than I would've, at least. I'd probably also go the scientific route, which is hopelessly too complicated for toddlers. >_<

    I only ever read one book from Roald Dahl (it was something about a boy in a giant peach drifting down a river), so I'm not familiar with The Witches, but it sounds interesting. Lol at Rosie thinking Rosie's a bad witch! It's good to see her bonding with Tyler though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't like it at all, hence why it tried to eat her. She's really fun to write for, very imaginative and creative. I love the interactions between children and toddlers (I think I had to download them though)

      You're not alone going down the scientific route. I googled it out of interest and a surprising amount of people told their children the truth about sperm and eggs and fertilization and everything.

      The Witches is a really good book. I read a few Roald Dahl books when I was little. I think you read James and the Giant Peach. I read The Twits, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Alligator one (I think that's his) and Danny the Champion of the World.
      I thought that The Witches would be good based on Belle's aunt is a witch. I never really intended on Belle to stay angry at Tyler for all too long, so now they're friends :3

      Delete
  5. Parents never know how to answer those questions. Really. There is no good answer so Alyssa did just fine there. :) A toddler isn't going to remember any of it anyhow. She'll most likely not even remember by the time she's put to bed.

    Melody's a cutie! And we love Roald Dahl in our house. Shel Silverstein is quite popular as well. The BFG and Where the Sidewalk Ends are two books always being requested for a read.

    Yay for baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I doubt Melody will remember what her mom did say about where babies come from. Toddler's don't have all too long of an attention span or do they? I don't think so.

      She is cute, and I've never heard of Silverstein. Roald Dahl was a favourite in my primary/elementary school. You didn't get past Year 2/3rd Grade without at least reading one of them.

      Yay for baby indeed!

      Delete
  6. Melody is very cute! I loved her playing with her "dinosaur", and waking up Alyssa. I agree, Alyssa handled the question very well, since she couldn't go the "when mommys and daddys love each other" route.

    That's nice that Belle is giving Tyler a chance now. He's really not so bad once you know him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love writing for toddlers, especially the girls. It's easy for me to make them adorable ;)
      Alyssa did handle that rather well, and at least she did manage to answer the question.

      Belle will eventually get along with him fully, she's just a little unsure about him. She is warming up to Tyler though.

      Delete