Friday 21 February 2014

Chapter 1.23 Birthday Blues

"Its my birthday today."


Connor looked at Sabrina when he spoke, he was honestly excited about being a teenager. He could go out and party all night, and do things all teenagers do. The look on Sabrina's face made him feel uncomfortable though. She was frowning, clearly upset.
"What's the matter?" He asked, wondering why she was upset about his birthday.


"We won't be able to be friends anymore." She mumbled, looking like she was on the edge of tears. 
He furrowed his eyebrows, confused "Why not? I don't get it..." He was confused. He knew she would stay the same way, but that didn't mean they couldn't be friends.
"Only people in the same age stage can see me. That's why your Mom, Thomas and Rosie haven't noticed me." She confessed, and right then was when it clicked. They never asked about Sabrina because they never saw her, that's why Rosie thought she was imaginary.



"That's right." He murmured, confirming what she already knew was true. "None of my family can see you. Why is that?" He asked, looking at her.
She sighed, looking at him. "Its one of the side effects of being forever immortal. You can't age, but only people of a similar age can see you." She mumbled.
"Oh, I think I get it. So all magic people who don't age can't be seen?" He asked.


"Kinda..." She mumbled, then continued to explain. "When you use magic, you naturally don't age as quick. Like, you could be eighty and still act like a twenty year old. It depends how long you've been using magic. But, I'm immortal, so I never age. Which means that we can't be friends."
"Why can't you just start aging again? Can you do that?" He asked, wanting someway to still be friends with Sabrina. She was pretty much the only friend he had.



She hesitated before answering "I'm not so sure Connor. I mean, I can, easily I can. I just..." Hearing that made him annoyed.
"Wait, so you can either still be friends with me, or carry on being young?" He narrowed his eyes, angry, and sat up. She would rather live forever than be with him. Was their friendship really that one sided?
"Yes, and don't be angry with me. You don't get how difficult it is for me." She frowned.


"You're my best friend Sabrina, I lo- like hanging out with you." He quickly caught back on what he was going to say then, he didn't want to screw up what he was going to say. "But you probably don't feel the same way, do you?" He glared at her, angry and hurt. He wanted to be with her, but she didn't want to be with him.
"Connor..." She started, feeling bad. She could easily see he was hurting, and hated it too. She didn't want him to be upset over her, and she knew it was her own fault at the end of the day. It was a difficult choice. Connor was her best friend, but did she really want to fully give up being a child?
"Just go." He said, turning away from her.



And as he finally stood up, he knew she was gone.


Rosie meanwhile was trying to see what the big fuss was about babies. So far, all she learned was that they cried and didn't do much. She pursed her lips to the side, watching Alyssa in her crib and keeping her eye on the doll one of Erin's great aunts sent. Or at least that's what the letter said. The doll gave Rosie the creeps.
"You don't do all that much, do you?" She asked, not that she expected a response from the baby. Alyssa stayed silent, just looking up at Rosie.


"Why do people even want kids?" She wondered aloud, looking down. She had to admit, it was a pretty nursery, she especially liked the birds going up the sides. She didn't really remember having a nice bedroom when she was little, at least it wasn't fantastic enough for her to remember. Times were probably different back then though, she remembered mostly spending the days with Erin when she was very little, and a little of someone with red hair and a skull on their chest...



She continued to look down at Alyssa, "It would be a lot easier if you could talk, or if you were older. I've always wanted a sister, someone to gossip with." She laughed a little, smiling slightly. She then lowered her voice to a whisper. "You know, when I was a child, I tried to set your Mommy and our Daddy up. I thought they would get married though, but I guess I got you instead." She laughed a little, smiling at Alyssa.


"Don't tell them though, it was a secret." Rosie laughed, remembering how badly that actually went. "Most kids turn their parents grey, I turned my mom blonde." She laughed, until she realized what she said. She called Erin her mom... She sighed softly, in a whole new bad mood. She sat down on the floor, her back against the crib. She still wanted to talk to her baby half sister, even of she couldn't respond.


"You're really lucky you know both your parents." Rosie whispered, sniffling. "I know that she didn't want me, and I know that she gave me up, but I really want to know about my mom." She mumbled, frowning. "I get that I have Erin, and she's like a mom. She's always been there for me, helped me through some stuff too. She was the first one that I told about... Something." She mumbled. "But its just not the same."


Rosie heard a few whines from the crib, and stood up so she could pick Alyssa up, "You don't like this talk either, huh?" She mumbled, snuggling her baby sister close. Pretty soon, Alyssa was happy again, and Rosie couldn't help but smile "Is it really this easy? I guess you're just an easy baby, aren't you?" She cooed, smiling. 


Then, lowering her voice to a whisper, she said "When you're older, never tell Daddy about boys. I don't know what will happen, but he'll probably freak out." She giggled, then looked around before lowering her voice even more, almost to an angry whisper "I'll always be his favourite though, get that? I was his princess first." She put Alyssa back in the crib, "But you're alright." She half smiled and went out of the nursery.


Connor managed to feel a little happier playing with his non-human best friend though. For a second, it almost helped him forget how sad he was, and it made him remember how much he did love Toby. He loved all dogs really, but Toby was his favourite by far. Toby and Connor had fun together until Thomas kicked them out of the bathroom so he could fix the washing machine.



However, he was less than happy about his birthday, but he put on a smile for his family. They didn't know about Sabrina anyway, she was invisible to them, and soon to be invisible to him too. Today was the day he was going to lose his best friend forever. He really didn't want that at all, he wanted to always be friends with Sabrina, but that obviously wasn't what she wanted.




Blowing out the candles, Connor felt worse than ever. He just wanted today to be over and done with. How much worse could this day get anyway? He had lost his best friend, and there was nothing he could do about it.


He stayed downstairs and had the cake, he didn't want his family thinking that he was too upset. If this is what heartbreak felt like, he was pretty sure that he never wanted a girlfriend. It just hurt too much. It felt as if someone was purposely stabbing him over and over, a sadistic thing just to make him hurt. He went up to his bedroom once he was done, wanting to be alone.



It went almost unnoticed that there was something wrong with Connor, the only person who knew he was upset was Erin. She could tell that there was something wrong with him, and honestly hated that there was something bothering him. Then again, she knew how teenagers could be, even though Connor was only just a teenager. She went over to the door when she heard someone knocking. She wondered who it could be, as it was fairly late...


She was fairly surprised to see a girl at the door, one about Connor's age. She raised an eyebrow, honestly not sure what to say. "Are you here to see someone?" She asked, trying not to seem rude.
"I came to see Connor, is he in?" The girl asked in reply.


Erin nodded in response, "He's in his bedroom, up the stairs and straight on." She told the mystery girl, still fairly confused "Who are you by the way?" She asked, half smiling. She knew that probably sounded fairly rude, but it was an honest question.
"I'm Sabrina. I'm one of his friends." She smiled softly as she walked in and went upstairs. 


Upstairs, Connor was just moping around. He felt horrible and miserable. Maybe it was a good thing that his family thought Sabrina was invisible. They probably just thought she was an imaginary friend of his. He was stood up, aimlessly looking out the window at a whole bunch of nothingness.



He didn't hear the door open, but he immediately recognized the voice. "I made my choice." Sabrina murmured, standing in the doorway. Connor turned to look at her, she was even more beautiful now she was older. 
He went over to her, "So, what does that mean?" He asked, looking at her. "I mean, you can't be immortal anymore so..."


She sighed softly "I still have a few powers, but I'm not going to use them often. I wanna try being normal." She laughed a little, smiling at him.
He smiled back at her, "Normal? As long as you won't get bored being normal..." 



Smiling, and looking into his eyes, all she could say was "I have you, I'm fairly sure I won't get bored." She grinned, and he grinned back. He didn't lose his best friend that day, and honestly hoped he never would lose her, because what he felt for her was stronger than just friendship. He wasn't so sure if she felt the same way though...


Sometimes in life though, you just have to take a chance, and take a risk. After all, most people don't live four hundred and thirty five years. There's no better time than the present to do brave things, and as long as you prepare yourself for it, you'll make a lasting impression.


And sometimes, things work out the exact way you want them to.

Chapter 1.22 Interlude; The Antagonist                                                           
______________________________
AN: Isn't that a nice way to end a chapter? Nobody's heart broken and I don't think there are any additional questions added.
Because Connor has the Dog Person trait, he gets a lot of wishes to play and talk to and care for Toby (Who I had to recreate). And Alyssa got the doll in the mail. I had to try and play it in somehow because I had already taken the pictures before realizing that the doll was there. I'll play it into the story.

12 comments:

  1. I'm so glad for Connor that Sabrina decided to age for him, I just hope this won't cause problems later if she's lost any powers she may need to frustrate Elli's plans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too, I have some plans for the two of them.
      And considering Sabrina's powers and the whole deal with Elli, well, I have plans for that too.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow. Sabrina made a bit change there for Connor! And like Ali, I'm really hoping she'll still be able to help Rosie out even though she's given up a lot here. Even Erin could see her! That's got to be a very different for her, and slightly unnerving too. Years and years of being invisible to all but children. Wow.

    And it's sweet to see Rosie and Alyssa bonding. Rosie needs a little someone who she can lean on, and babies are some of the very best listeners out there. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, its a big change for Sabrina. She had over four hundred years being a certain way, and a sudden change like that isn't easy.

      I want Rosie and Alyssa to have that sisterly bond, you know? Even though there is a large gap in age between them both, I want them to be close.

      Delete
  3. Aw, this chapter had so much sweetness. I loved that Sabrina made a sacrifice like that for Connor. Although they seem to be moving a little quickly ;)

    And I also enjoyed seeing Rosie and Alyssa interacting. I hope they continue to be close as Alyssa ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, she made a really big sacrifice for Connor. Maybe what he did at the end was a little abrupt, but it worked none the less.

      I plan on keeping Alyssa and Rosie close, don't worry.

      Delete
  4. Aaaand Erin walks in... LOL! Imagine?
    Awww, though! So glad Sabrina chose love *happy sigh* haha

    It was great to see Rosie interacting with Alyssa, even if she did threaten her... lol. I think she's a bit too old to be a proper big sister, and she's a bit to young to like babies, so I see where her mixed feelings are coming from.
    And has Thomas STILL not spoken to her about Roxie?! Shame on him! That talk is long overdue now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh God, I know I would die on the inside if my mom walked in on me kissing someone. Luckily Erin didn't.
      Hooray for love!

      It was a friendly threat, not a "I'm gonna kill you" threat. And yeah, she still doesn't like Alyssa, but her little sister isn't that bad.
      At least he's told her now though! (Two chapters ahead...)

      Delete
  5. Well, in Sabrina's defense, she's been around over 400 years? Aging up for a boy is an awful big step :D

    Wait...if only people of the same age as Sabrina can see her, how could Erin see her? And why would she no longer be immortal? That doesn't make sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aging up is a big step for everyone, but luckily Connor didn't freak out like how his mom did.

      Sabrina's immortality was linked to her age. She personally could choose whether she wanted to stay immortal, and she just chose to be for so long, staying that same age for so long. When she aged up, her immortality was lost because she aged up. Does that make any sense? I'm kinda hyped up on energy drink.
      And she was kind of like an imaginary friend, only people her age could see her (also linked kinda to her immortality power), so when she gave it up, people of other ages could see her.

      Delete
  6. Toby is so cute! And it's sweet that Sabrina decided to age up with Connor :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I remember Toby <3 he was so cute. And yeah, she didn't want to lose him, so she aged up with him ^-^

      Delete